Q & A with our front cover artist for 2015: JULES HORN
1. Describe your work (or role/vision) in 30 words
Newly abstract with a view to emerging the other side. An eccentrically crackpot sciencey vibe with points of vibrancy melting into a mist. At the moment. This too will change!
2. What did you want to be or do when you were growing up?
I had no idea what I wanted to be or where I was going and I have stuck to this all my life.
3. What inspires you and why?
Everything! I’m quite into quantum physics and love the way holistic philosophies are being spun out of it. Nature inspires me endlessly. Stars. Music. Dreams.
4. Who is the person you most admire?
Wow, just one person? I admire SO many!
5. Where are you based and does that influence your work in any way?
South West Wiltshire. At the moment the work is all intuitive and abstract – conversations between one painting and another – my external world isn’t really invoved at the moment! This will undoubtably change at some point.
Here in England of course – I truly love the cycle of the seasons here and the landscapes of the south west. Although my fantasy off-grid cabin beside a stream on the edge of the woods(sigh) is still to be realised….
7. If you had the power to change anything in the world, what would it be?
Blimey, where to start? Maybe with the mindset of the 1%, so they decide something like this – ‘hey, let’s pool all our personal wealth and provide shelter and clean water for every soul on the planet, and then let’s put the power of our money behind searching for ways towards peace and environmental respect.’
8. What is your biggest indulgence?
Painting when I should be out earning a living. It is my fervent hope that these two things will become the same thing really soon.
9. Tell us your positive vision of the future (not the one you fear or the one your think is likely, but the one you want to be)
I was very influenced by Fritjof Capra’s ‘The Turning Point’ years ago, so I kind of believe the system as it is at the moment will fall apart to reveal amazing new structures underneath that have been developing at grass roots levels. Many of the new structures are there already, Earth Pathways’ Moonshares among them. Bring on plan B!
10. Is there a saying or a motto that you hold close to your heart?
At the moment the motto on my wall is ‘if you look for holes, it’s holes you’ll find – look for gold.’
Check out more of Jules’ beautiful work at www.juleshorn.co.uk